We are just 2 days away from another NATIONAL event that will take us one step closer toward achieving full equality! On January 10th, our voices will be heard around the nation as we shed light on DOMA and get 1 Million Signatures on our Open Letter to Barack Obama, reminding him of his promise to REPEAL DOMA! This event is one that comes in many forms with rallies in almost every major city mixed with signature drives throughout the nation. This Saturday, hundreds of cities around the nation will participate in one of our 4 fantastic options to get involved that include outreach, canvasing, and protests! This will be a National Day of Impact!
It’s not too late to get involved. Find an event near you today! If there is not an event in your area, it is not too late to put something together. Take a que from Julie Phineas of LezGetReal.com – She has planned an entire day of signature gathering!
Check out her video encouraging people to attend her event!
There are 10 Ways to Help us reach 1 Million Signatures – Real People, Real Signatures, Real Change*:
- Gather signatures at your place of work (make sure it doesn’t hinder your HR policy)
- Go out to the bars on Friday and Saturday nights and get signatures
- Go to your local screening of MILK and get signatures from individuals in line or as they are leaving
- Go to local stores and ask that they put the signature pages at the counter
- Grab a friend and canvas your neighborhood asking for signatures
- Go to a local event to gain signatures (Art Walks, Concerts, etc)
- Email this blog post to friends and family, ask them to print out the signature page and mail it to Join the Impact
- Attend one of the 100 National Rallies on January 10th to gain signatures
- Go to church on Sunday and ask for signatures
- Use the power of the internet: Blog about it, ping all your friends on Facebook/MySpace, send this message to EVERYONE
*Many have asked why this is not an online petition. Simply put, we want this to be as real as possible. Online petitions have less validity and less impact. We want to show Obama that we can mobilize 1 million people and we need to do this in the most organic way possible. It’s easy to get 1 million signatures in an online petition. It takes time, commitment, and energy to get 1 million physical signatures though. Let’s show Obama just how committed we are to this cause!